Mitra Ameri-Haydari of Richmond Hill took it all in stride when the LOTTO 6/49 ticket she checked on the weekend caused the lottery terminal to freeze.

After being asked by the retailer to wait for a representative from OLG to call the store (because she was a big winner), she decided to make good use of her time and get her car washed next door.

Then, something happened. “I forgot to go back,” said the 42-year-old self-employed bookkeeper.

“I had to go shopping for Thanksgiving dinner and I thought I would check my numbers at home online.”

That’s when Ameri-Haydari realized she was the single winner of the jackpot from the LOTTO 6/49 draw from Oct. 4 worth $9.6 million.

“I checked and re-checked. I logged off and logged back on. And my numbers were there. I couldn’t believe it.”

Ameri-Haydari has never deviated from her routine, playing the same numbers for 18 years.

“I never thought I would win the jackpot, but I continued playing to dream a little.” Ameri-Haydari and her sister had a pact that if one of the sisters won a lottery, she’d look after the other sister by sharing a chunk of the prize.

“This means my sister who had to go to New Zealand for a job, can quit and come home,” she added.

The lucky ticket was purchased at Bayhill Convenience on Yonge Street in Thornhill.